name

Harlow Ekenalee Alyce Rocketfield

Thursday, March 8, 2012

What's in a name?

So, since before we knew what we were having I've been thinking of names... 2 of my favorites were 'called' around the time I found out i was pregnant (including the name we've been set on for a girl for over 2 years now) so when we found out it was a girl I wasn't exactly sure what to do, but I knew my Grandmothers name would be used in some way because I had already researched it.

On a random day Harlow popped into my mind and I fell in love. BUT I still wasn't sure... because Ekenalee had been on my mind. But to me, Ekenalee sounded like many of the popular names where we live -McKenna, Kinsley, Mckenzie and others- so for me it just didn't seem like "my name" for my child.

So when the day came that we were going to find out what we were having I was going back and forth from Harlow to Ekenalee and knew that if Ekenalee wasn't her first name, it would be one of her middle names. On the day we found out I ended up asking Jonny what he wanted her first name to be (since he wouldn't really talk of girl names before that)... having already talked about my "issues" and how it would play out. When he said "Harlow" I of course had to ask... "so you're ok with her having a really long name? And your ok that there will most likely be other Harlow's in the world?" since Ekenalee was something I'd created so I knew no one else would have it. His answer "yes, I love that name" and so Jonny made the final decision. And when I think about her name... it makes my heart smile. I love it. We love it. It's unique without being crazy, and beautiful. When I picture the letters hanging together on her wall somewhere it's just perfect. And I know in my heart this was the name meant for her...

:) Harlow Ekenalee Alyce Rocketfield :)



Why such a long name? Good question... my dad was very cute one day and asked about it all (trying to give some other ideas) and even asked what -when she's getting in trouble- will we do? lol The ole 'you're really in trouble when they use your first and middle name' question... but I, of course, have thought of it! We're well aware that her name is long (11 syllables to be exact) but because of the meaning and heart that has gone into it, we're perfectly ok with it! After all, you rarely use your entire name... usually u just use a middle initial. And I think it's beautiful all written together anyways. So when our sweet little Harlow is getting in trouble, we'll just use one middle name... "Harlow Alyce!" ;) since it flows. That solves that... Harlow Ekenalee just doesn't seem to flow in the same way, and Ekenalee seems to sound naked without Alyce now.


Here's the breakdown of her name;

Harlow- just a beautiful name that some how came about in my mind one day, and we both fell in love with.

Ekenalee- my created name. Ekena (eh ken ah) is Hawaiian for Edna (which is my grandmothers name that I never meet, but feel very connected to). Whether we had a boy or a girl, I knew that my child would be named after her in some way. Lee is my middle name, my mother in laws middle name, and Lynda Jacksons middle name (Lynda passed away pretty suddenly just before I found out we were expecting, and was a very important woman in my life).

Alyce- (ah lease) is my cousin Leah's middle name. Leah and I are more like sisters than cousins, and I felt it important within my heart to have my daughter carry a part of her throughout her life. Leah has been a light in my life since the beginning as well an inspiration as she's gotten older. And more than anyone that had found out we were expecting, her reaction was the most heartfelt of all. She was so excited, and we both started to cry on the phone. It meant the world.



Naming your child can seem like a pretty big task... after all, they'll have it all their lives! It's something you have to put thought into and not just pick on a whim and hate it later. The heart that has gone into us naming our daughter was more thought through than anything else... and I/we couldn't be more happy with it! I hope she's loves it just as much as I do... lol

No comments:

Post a Comment