So there’s a post that I have had in my computer for a
couple weeks that I need to go over and add to but just haven’t had the time… I
will… it’s our “days after Harlow” post. But with her due date creeping up on
me I’ve had a lot of “notes” in my phone on what to write about. I think it’s
time I’ve gotten some of my rollercoaster down;
I get a lot of credit for being strong. But, what is the
definition because I don’t feel very strong?! All I do is what I can… and
although many angel moms don’t chose to become open books with their
situations, that is what keeps me sane. I talk. I talk about her, because I
think about her and I believe that I would be denying myself of precious
moments if I was to keep my mouth shut and my fingers off this keyboard. This
is how I keep her close, this is how I relive our memories together, this is
how I remind the rest of the world that she is NOT a figment of my imagination.
She is my daughter and I miss her terribly.
Imagine
every moment of every day… this one tiny little person is on your mind. I’m
sure anyone who has been a parent has lived that in some way. Now imagine, that
is all you have. Your thoughts, your memories. There are no longer any continued
memories to be made. You’ve had your shot. You cannot hold this child again,
feel their skin, kiss their forehead. You cannot look into one another’s eyes
and converse verbally or without words. You cannot feel their warmth on your
chest or watch each breath they take as they sleep peacefully. You will not
watch them grow… all you have is the hole in your heart that has been filled
with your love for them, and the box of memories tucked away deep within your
mind. Precious moments that an angel mother would die to relive.
“To forget is to
abandon a part of yourself”
I am reading
“Empty Cradle, Broken Heart” By Deborah Davis. It is a gift from my Brother and
Sister in Law, and it is a beautiful read so far. I’ve recently began to
highlight as I read, the parts that speak to me. One of the beautiful quotes
that I had captured with my neon yellow marker was “your baby was taken from your body’s embrace”… what a beautiful thought.
My body’s embrace. Wow. These words seem like a perfect exchange of how I felt
and what I tried to do for her… embrace. My body held her tight just as my
heart did, and will continue to do far beyond my last breath. This touched
something within me, I think, because I feel so helpless that I can no longer
embrace her. It made our time together seem a bit more sacred. Those words.
I seriously need an entire day or two to say all that I want
to say… ok, back to it…
I feel as though I am a walking contradiction because I want
other momma’s to be strong, and then I myself feel like a total mess inside. I
am thankful that I do not have depression… probably because I don’t keep it in
and have some type of an outlet… but I do struggle every day with asking WHY, being hurt, and being angry at
the world. I just don’t let the world know that, because I don’t think it’s
fair. Every pregnant mother-to-be I see, or dad carrying his infant car-seat
did not cause my little girl to die. So I put on a happy face and hold my story
in my little box in my mind and pretend as if my life is as “normal” as
everyone elses. Hmmm… you never really know the struggles one contains do
you?!?! I haven’t really cried all that much over the last month in a half or
so either. Now, do I have moments where I’d love to? YEP! But for some reason I
am numb and usually cannot let out the tears my eyes so badly want to discard.
It seems as though the emotions that I deal with every day are work enough for
my body. I truly think we angel moms, are usually far more broken than people
even realize. We put on strong faces to show we will be ok (even though we have
no idea when or if it will ever truly happen). We don’t want people to feel bad
for us, or worse than they already do. We do not want to surround ourselves with
a pity-party for the rest of our days,
or be “downers” all the time. SO TO YOU
ANGEL MOMS, don’t live for others, live for your children and most of all… live
for yourself!! You don’t need to keep it all in. Does the entire world need to
know you’ve lost a child/or children? NO! But you do NOT have to be so quiet
that it eats you up inside either. I don’t care if it may seem “taboo” to share
your child, or your memories, or your thoughts on the situation… LET IT OUT,
don’t bottle it up! According to my book a “bereaved mother’s fatigue is
different from that of other postpartum mothers. Any comparisons are unfair
because the grief contributes immeasurably to the fatigue of recovering from
pregnancy”. I thought this was key to know that it is NOT in our minds, and
that we actually have taken on far more than those mother’s who are at home
waking up every 2 hours to feed their healthy newborn babies. Don’t feel like a
burden, be real with yourself and with others.
Nighttime has always been a struggle with me. I’m just bad
at it. In college my nickname was “owl” because I was always up late night and
it seemed like I didn’t sleep much. When I moved on to my second college I
drove my parents nuts being up at all hours… even if I was just playing a game
on the computer. And now my husband has gotten used to the nightly ritual of
how I’ve been exhausted all day but once 10pm rolls around I’m ready to run a
marathon. Some nights, it is not physical, but mental. Night time is when my
body has time to rest and my mind has time to think. Night time is when my body
demands that I grieve. I get down on my knees every night and pray, and yet I
lay in bed every morning and every night, clutching her blanket, asking God Why?!? Why me, why her? If I should “be
fruitful and multiple” then why the hell can’t I have my baby?!? Why, of all
the pregnant mothers and newborns around me and in my life, was mine the one
who the world will never truly know?!? Why am I not worthy… and don’t you dare
tell me I am… because I AM the mother WITHOUT her baby!! And then I check my
phone, and I realize that sadly, many other women are feeling exactly how I am!
Many other women are dieing inside with empty arms. Many other women are
reaching out in our support groups because they too feel broken inside.
That hurts me. And then that makes me want to snap out of
it, because I know that I need to let them know they are NOT alone. I have come
to love these ladies that I share my most intimate thoughts with. And what’s
more vulnerable than grief?!?! I mean really?!?! It’s so raw.
It is easy to feel alone and that the rest of the world does
not care about your baby like you do. Even when it comes to the dads, although
they love their children, they do not have the bond a mother does with her
unborn/born children. I do the same with Jonny… I get upset because I feel like
he “doesn’t feel as I do”. And they don’t. No one can duplicate the feeling and
bond a mother has with a child she has grown preciously within her womb. But we
do need to realize they hurt. They mourn for their lost child. They need us
just as we need them. Please don’t forget them. They are broken too…
Ok… my goodness, I have gone off once again. I’m sorry, I am
just very passionate about trying to help!!
What are some things I have learned?
* the power
of true friends and a caring family,
and the strength that can bring to your life in tragedy.
* no one
understands unless they have been through it
* it hurts,
and always will
*quotes you
used to like will now be some of the ones you hate
* life does
not stop, even though yours feels like it did
* strangers
can/will be your savior
* life is a
blur
*karma isn’t
real (because I KNOW I don’t deserve for my child to die)
* you may live
perfectly, but that doesn’t mean you will not have BIG trials
* ignorance
hurts
* saying something
is more than nothing
* this will
change who you are
* you cannot
“get over it” but you can move forward… little by little, day by day
* you will
have many unknown “triggers”
* you will
blame yourself, even if you did everything right
* sometimes
the smallest moments will leave the biggest impressions
* you are,
indeed, stronger than you realize
Is that all
I have learned? Hell no! But those are some things that stuck out in my mind
enough to one day put into my phone.
Another
thing I have learned? There is no time
limit on a broken heart. Not that anyone has tried, but no one can tell me
when to “stop”, when to “forget”, when to “move on”. I was recently asked if I
was “feeling better” about everything and my reply was an honest one: No. I don’t
think I ever will “be better” but I will cope better with the hand I’ve been
given. I don’t think that you can feel better about a child who you will never
raise on this earth, a child you will never get to know on this earth, a child
no one will ever see on this earth. But I will smile in her memory. And I am
thankful that I have friends who want to know if I’m ok. I am, I’m ok. My heart
will not shut off and die, or shrivel to a prune at the stroke of midnight
after 6 months have passed… but it will both hurt and rejoice in the memories
of my daughter.

I love your list of things you've learned. You should totally add to it every once in a while. Make it a page or something. :) I know you talk about Harlow because it keeps her close, but it also is such a saving grace to the rest of us. Thanks for not keeping it all in. <3
ReplyDeleteI will Annie... I will continue to add to it :) Because I know this list will continue to grow or I will keep thinking of things. I hope the blog doesn't seem like I'm "harping"... sometimes I feel bad for being so real. Like it should just be rainbows and butterflies... but then, i wouldn't be true to her or myself!! i am who i am!! :) i love you ladies so much... i truly hope it does help you all... (which reminds me, i need to add your blog here lol)
DeleteYour posts are so touching <3
ReplyDelete